Anyone requesting exemption from the Virginia Office of EMS written recertification test needs to notify the TJEMS Training Specialist (BLS)/ UVa Prehospital Coordinators (ALS) at least ninety (90) days in advance of their expiration date (as listed on their certification card). This allows for completion of the necessary forms, verification of Continuing Education hours, notification and signature of the Operational Medical Director and delivery of the Virginia EMS Certification Application to the Office of EMS before the provider’s expiration date.
To be considered for exemption, BLS providers must meet the following criteria:
• Be a member of a licensed EMS agency
• Received an Eligibility Letter from the Office of EMS.
• ALS providers must complete all required hours for their level of certification (This may be completed by attending monthly continuing education classes or successful completion of a refresher course). Regularly attend monthly ALS Continuing education classes. Must complete all required TJEMS/UVA Prehospital Program “Skills Drills” and “MegaCode” (Medic level) held during their certification period.
• BLS providers must attend 3 out of 10 continuing education classes provided by TJEMS Council staff and complete all required hours for their level of certification. Must also complete all required TJEMS “Skills Drills” held during their certification period.
• Have been in “good standing” during their certification period (suspensions of clinical privileges, corrective actions, etc.).
• Provide a current CPR certification with a completed application (OEMS approved courses).
The provider’s Operational Medical Director has the final disposition on exemption from testing.